You own one or more cats and you know everything about them.... or do you? Here are a few fun facts about or feline friends, and you might have some surprises!
1. Cats have a 5 toes on their front paws and 4 on each back paw.
2. The two outer layers of a cat's hair are called, respectively, the guard hair and the awn hair.
3. Cats CAN be lefties and righties, just like us. More than forty percent of them are, leaving some ambidextrous.
4. When a household cat died in ancient Egypt, its owners showed their grief by shaving their eyebrows.
5. Maine Coons are the biggest breed of house cats. They can weigh up to around 24 pounds.
6. Cats can pick up on your tone of voice, so sweet-talking to your cat has more of an impact than you think.
7. Rather than nine months, cats' pregnancies last about nine weeks.
8. A group of kittens is called a "kindle", and "clowder" is a term that refers to a group of adult cats.
9. Cats who eat too much tuna can become addicted, which can actually cause a Vitamin E deficiency.
10. Perhaps the oldest cat breed on record is the Egyptian Mau, which is also the Egyptian language's word for cat.
11. Cats have 24 more bones than humans.
12. Teeth of cats are sharper when they're kittens. After six months, they lose their needle-sharp milk teeth.
13. Talk about Facetime: Cats greet one another by rubbing their noses together.
14. Caution during Christmas: poinsettias may be festive, but they’re poisonous to cats.
15. Each side of a cat's face has about 12 whiskers.