With the return of the European spring and the increase of outdoor walking weather, dogs are more likely to suffer from wasp or bee stings. In the case they get stung, here's what you can do.

Wasp and bee stings - how to help your dog

Even if your dog is not allergic to bees or wasps, one small sting can cause a lot of pain for your pet. Especially if this happens in more sensitive areas such as the nose, mouth or near the eyes. The venom injected is more painful than the sting itself.

However, it can be much more dangerous, even deadly, if they get stung inside the throat or are allergic to both insects.

It's important to identify any symptoms and respond accordingly. This may be a simple topical treatment or require an emergency trip to the vet.

 

Dealing with the sting

The response to a sting will be relatively quick. Swelling will be observed at the site, and your dog may show small signs of discomfort like licking or scratching.

Remove the sting carefully, either by flicking it off or securing it from the thinnest part of the base and not the top. Contrary to popular belief, avoid using tweezers as this can inject more venom from the top of the sting where the venom is contained.

Although the bite may seem benign at first, watch your dog to see if they develop an allergic reaction. To offer some relief, you can apply a mixture of water and baking soda, formed into a paste before applying.

The situation can be more serious if the dog has been bitten several times or if they are allergic to the chemical compounds of the sting. In this case, the dog will fatigue quickly, may salivate, experience abnormal swelling in the throat and face, have difficulty breathing and may even collapse. An emergency trip to the vet will be necessary.

Has your dog ever been stung by a wasp or bee?

Add a comment

You need to have a Yummypets account in order to comment on this article.
Create your Yummypets account in less than a minute.