World Animal Day was started in 1931 at a convention of ecologists in Florence to support endangered species. October 4 was chosen as World Animal Day as it is the Feast Day of the patron saint of animals, St Francis of Assisi.
The mission of World Animal Day is to:
1. Celebrate animal life in all its forms,
2. Celebrate humankind’s relationship with the animal kingdom,
3. Acknowledge the diverse roles that animals play in our lives – from being our companions, supporting and helping us, to bringing a sense of wonder into our lives,
4. Acknowledge and be thankful for the way in which animals enrich our lives.
This day is not linked to any person, organization, or campaign!
What you can do on World Animal Day:
- Expand your knowledge: share your love for animals with your friends and don't forget to mention it's World Animal Day!
- Donate to your local animal charity or shelter. They don't only need none but also food, litter, toys, beds...
- Volunteer in your local shelter or foster an animal. Help pets find their forever homes!
- Make your garden animal friendly, by putting seeds and water for birds, a bird bath, bee friendly plant, etc...
- And don't forget to treat your special pet with a toy, food or just by spending more time with him today!
Don't forget the goal of World Animal Day is to commemorate your love and respect towards animals, so enjoy yourself!