My cat who is 8 years old has suddenly gone from eating half a sachet of wet food to devouring 2. She looks very healthy with a love;ly coat and has recently been wormed. Any suggestions please?

• Lesley C.

Hi Andrew

Since getting your last message I thought that I really should take Dotty to the vet.  I have now done this and he checked her over and said that her thyroid is fine.  Apparantly he has a cat at home just like her who will fuss for more food, will eat it quite happily if he is given more but if he is ignored then he gives up asking and is also happy with that.  Thanks again for your feedback.

• Lesley C.

I haven't taken her yet.  The hunger seems to come and go and I wonder if she is just being greedy!  She fusses round my hubby when he is feeding and he gives in and offers her more food but I just say no!

• Andrew the Vet

This is Dr Andrew Jones.

I concur, and would have advised having her thyroid checked. Did she test as being hyperthyroid?

• Lesley C.

Oh thank you, hadn't thought of thyroid. I will make an appointment.

• Heather W.

Not to panic you but I would get Puss checked by a vet. It could only could be a thyroid problem. I had a Puss that was starving all the time and that was what the problem turned out to be. Good luck

• Lesley C.

Thanks for the feedback, useful and reassuring.

• Rory O.

Don't worry if she acts like she normally does, so it's probably just your cat getting older and when they get older they get more hungry. 

• Lesley C.

She is definitely happy! Thanks

• Nathan R.

i wouldnt worry as long as their acting normal/happy/content. 

Sign in or sign up to submit an answer.