When it comes to pets like rabbits, hamsters, chinchillas, Etc; do they feel affection toward us the same way cats and dogs do?

I know all animals are different and how they show affection is different.

But when it comes to relationships with humans, do they feel a connection with us, or is it a one sided affair?

• Andrew M.

Well, their first instinct is to be afraid of you, so it will take much more time to gain their trust, but with many rodents over years I can say that they are pretty affectionate in case you really invest in them. 

• james M.

YEs of-course.. Being a chinchilla owner for more than 10 years I can see how emotional my chimpu is.. It is now more than 5 years old.. It recognizes me and sometimes comes to me and climbs my shoulders and smells me.. I can also started understanding its behavior.. I spends hours on Internet and Social Media browsing Chinchillas and their breeds. Recently I started by blog chinchilla tube where i write my experiences with chinchilla

• Ester V.

In many cases, rabbits and dogs are similar. Likewise, they could be trained like dogs and could show affection to you. But there are also many differences. For example, if we look at the body language then rabbits behave differently compared to dogs. 

Even pet owners can understand the body language of dogs more than rabbits. Similarly, rabbits need more supervision. I can say it because I am raising a rabbit with this guide rabbitsforsale.com/raising-rabbits-for-show for a show for the last 2 months and it needs much attention. It is hard to groom or train them compared to dogs and cats. It is hard to make them a member of a house like you make the dogs.

• Ester V.

In many cases, rabbits and dogs are similar. Likewise, they could be trained like dogs and could show affection to you. But there are also many differences. For example, if we look at the body language then rabbits behave differently compared to dogs. Even pet owners can understand the body language of dogs more than rabbits.

Similarly, rabbits need more supervision. I can say it because I am raising a rabbit for a show for the last 2 months and it needs much attention. It is hard to groom or train them compared to dogs and cats. It is hard to make them a member of a house like you make the dogs. 

• Mike B.

Very current remark! I think all pets have emotions and are sentiment. So, therefore, they are pets, not wild animals. Sometimes we love animals, sometimes are angry, but always we are empathetic towards animals as they are to us, read https://calmerry.com/blog/love/people-who-love-animals-more-than-people-psychology-of-empathy/#Contribute_Toward_Your_Emotional_Stability why pets are empathetic. Great decision always give attention to pets, be loyal and careful with their emotions.

• Jim N.

I can only speak for my personal experience with a prairie dog.  A resounding yes. Although it's displays of affection were not as frequently displayed as any canine ive raised, there is no doubt that it showed its love and appreciation for myself, my wife, and our son.  A true joy to have as a member of our household.
  • Mike H.

They will show affection with their own attitude or their own way, not like a dog or a cat. You actually will realize that when you raise them a long time. It totally react differently with the stranger rather than you as the pets keeper.
  • Chewy

I think the best way to decide this is to look at your bunny's behaviour with their housemates. If they get along well and your bunny replicates that behaviour with you, I think that's a good sign!

Sign in or sign up to submit an answer.