Why does my cat eat dog food?

I have two cats and a dog - they get along great with each other, but when it comes time to food, the cats behave strangely. They don't eat their own food; instead, they all eat from the dog's plate together. I know that cat food and dog food are different, but I don’t know how safe it is for cats to eat dog food, and I don’t know why they do it. They eat their food very well, but when there is dog food nearby, they choose it. I have not noticed any negative consequences, but I think that it is necessary to visit a vet. Any advice?

• Pizza C.

Cats are a bit greedy animals and they will just eat anything. From wheat tortillas to egg omelets. Feed them their own food, dog food can cause problems later.
  • Patrice O.

It is probably because proper dog food is a bit higher in its meat content than cat food? Or maybe they just like the diversity! Our cat gets fed 2-3 different types of meats in a bi-weekly rotation yet he still loves to clean up the spoon we use to feed the dog with! :D
  • Andrew G.

I studied some information on the Internet and came to the conclusion that cats should not eat dog food. If you are also interested in this question, this article https://catspurfection.com/can-cats-eat-dog-food.html may be useful to you.

Sign in or sign up to submit an answer.