Dog broke his fingernail and it was bleeding

Hello. My Golden broke his fingernail. I do not know when did it happen, I just seen him licking his paw and some blood on the carpet. I noticed that there is blood on his rear paw. I took a closer look and his fingernail is broken right at the beginning of the nail. Its still holding on there but its curved and has a crack. I cleaned it with a wet cotton and applied Kwik Stop (held a wet cotton with kwik powder on his paw and squeezed few drops on the nail.) Not sure what to do next, every vet nearby is closed. I wouldn't want to cut that nail myself. He is sleeping now.

Should I take him into his cage and leave it until tomorrow?

• Jane J.

By the way, recently the groomer said that you don't have to cut the dogs or cut their claws ..
  • Jane J.

I was very worried about the fate of your dog, and I myself found myself in a similar situation. Of course, I will not post on this topic, since first of all I immediately ran to the doctor so that the animal would not suffer because there is a possibility of infection. It seems to me that pets need a vet assistant for dog grooming when you carry out measures for their care and beauty, I myself would not have coped with claw cutting and not only. I didn't have any helpers, but I found help from outside. I hope your pet has had a good time like this? If it's not difficult for you, maybe you and your readers will advise something sensible when such incidents occur, because in the daytime it is not a problem to find a groomer, but at night, when you need to call a veterinarian or neighbors, what to do?
  • Jimmie O.

Hi! I hope everything went well with your pooch. I had the similar problem with my dog. Brocken nail is not an emergency vet problem. I have done the same as you. Stop the bleeding and calm him.  Good job for us! ☺
  • Jimmie O.

Hi, I hope everything went well. A broken nail is never an urgent vet problem. I would do the same if I was you. Stop the bleeding and calm the dog. Good job!

Sign in or sign up to submit an answer.