How do i get my shih tzu to walk-not run- properly outside with me? She always chokes herself

Hi and i need help with my dogs walking, she always runs ahead of us when we walk and she always chokes herself. How do i prevent rhat from happening?
  • Ella W.

Lol I have a shih poo
  • Paul B.

I agree with what Caitlin says in her reply..

• Caitlin F.

Don't use a Halti like the person above says. Harnesses only encourage pulling by pressing on their chests, which is a normal response. However, if you don't care about your dog running ahead and constantly pulling, go ahead and use a harness. If you want your dog to have manners and walk beside you, take it to classes and learn how to teach it to walk beside you. Once the habit of running ahead starts, it can be very hard to stop.

Try not to use martingale or choker methods, they are severely misunderstood in their use. While both are wonderful to use, when used properly, they can be really hard on little dogs. Damaging the Trachea. Instead, try using a head harness. It is wonderful for pulling dogs and distracting dogs that bark, or just go silly, when they see other dogs or people.

Again though. Knowing the proper training method is very important. These are all wonderful tools. However, only when used properly!

• Kiakora

Try using a halti to walk her, she won't be able to run off then, hope that helps :-)

Sign in or sign up to submit an answer.