Can't stop eating other dogs' food, puppy

Less than a week after my father brought home a german shepherd puppy, I was unable to leave food out for my second dog, an 8-month-old german shepherd. She's not the kind of dog who would get defensive over food; in fact, the cat has tried stealing nibbles here and there, and she wouldn't mind. That was our old pattern. I would give her food, and she could eat some whenever she pleased. However, now that I feed both the puppy and my dog, the puppy finishes her meal and then takes what was meant for my dog! However, once I leave after trying for hours to persuade her to let go of the leash and feed my dog later, the puppy has already started eating the food. Being a college student, I usually fed my dog before I left for class, but I no longer have that confidence. I've reached the stage where I've noticed my dog has become skinnier, and I believe it has something to do with the way she eats her food. Any suggestions would be useful.

• James C.

It sounds like you're facing a challenging situation with your new German Shepherd puppy and your older dog. It's not uncommon for puppies to be eager eaters and sometimes steal food from other pets. One solution could be to feed your older dog in a separate room or area where the puppy can't access the food. You could also try feeding them at different times, so the puppy finishes eating before you leave. It's essential to monitor your older dog's weight and behavior closely and consult with a vet if you're concerned about her health. Additionally, training the puppy to understand mealtime boundaries may help in the long run.

• Kennel Y.

Oh, the struggles of a canine food heist! It sounds like you're dealing with quite the culinary caper at your place. The puppy's become a master thief, snatching away your second dog's meal like a furry food ninja. But fear not, dear college student! I come bearing suggestions to restore peace to your pup's mealtime kingdom.

First off, consider feeding your dogs in separate areas. Create designated feeding zones where each dog can enjoy their meal undisturbed. This way, the puppy won't have the opportunity to swoop in and steal her sibling's sustenance.

To manage the situation even further, you can establish feeding schedules. Set specific times for each dog's meal and stick to them religiously. This way, you'll be able to supervise the puppy closely and prevent any food theft shenanigans.

If the puppy finishes her meal quickly and still eyes her sibling's plate, try utilizing food puzzles or slow-feeders for the speed demon. These contraptions make mealtime more challenging and time-consuming, forcing her to work for her food and providing your other dog with ample opportunity to dine in peace.

Another option to consider is feeding your second dog in a separate room, ideally with a door that can be closed. This will create a physical barrier between the two dogs during mealtime, ensuring that your skinnier companion can eat without interruption.

Hope these suggestions are helpful.

• Ana W.

It sounds like the introduction of the new puppy has disrupted the feeding routine for your older dog. Here are some suggestions to help your dogs establish a new feeding routine:

1. Feed your dogs separately: It might be a good idea to feed your dogs in separate rooms or areas to avoid any conflicts over food. This can be done by using baby gates, crates or separate rooms.

2. Use timed feeding: Set a specific feeding schedule for your dogs, and feed them at the same time each day. This will help establish a routine and ensure that each dog receives their fair share of food.

3. Monitor their feeding: Stay with your dogs while they eat and make sure they are each eating their own food. If the puppy finishes their meal first, remove them from the feeding area so your older dog can finish their food.

4. Use puzzle feeders: Try using puzzle feeders or slow feeders for your puppy. This will slow down their eating and give your older dog a chance to finish their food.

5. Train your puppy: Train your puppy to wait for

Sign in or sign up to submit an answer.