Rehab my dog

My husband took hold of training our dog when we first brought him home. My husband has no idea how to train a dog. Much less a big one. Now that my husband is gone, do you think it's possible that I can rehab this poor dog and convert him to a good dog? I have raised Great Danes most my life and am real good with them. Little fella gets in the garbage, on the kitchen counter, drags anything that belongs in the house to the outside and destroys it. I really want to save this dog. Help? Any pointers on conversion?

• Nath G.

I'm sorry to hear about the situation, but it's great that you want to help the dog! You definitely can make a positive change with patience and consistency. Since you've had experience with Great Danes, that's a plus.

• Elizabeth B.

Thank you for detailed answer!

• Ana W.

It's definitely possible to rehabilitate and train a dog, regardless of their previous training. However, it's important to keep in mind that it will take time, patience, and consistency on your part.

First and foremost, establish yourself as the leader and set clear boundaries and rules for the dog. Use positive reinforcement-based training methods such as reward-based training, where you reward the dog for good behavior, rather than punishing them for bad behavior.

To address specific behaviors such as getting into the garbage and going on the kitchen counter, you can use a technique called "management". This means making the environment less conducive to those behaviors. For example, you can keep the garbage cans out of reach, or you can use baby gates to block off the kitchen.

You can also teach your dog alternative behaviors that are incompatible with the unwanted behaviors. For example, teach him to "drop it" or "leave it" when he has something in his mouth that he shouldn't have.

It's also important to provide your dog with plenty of physical and mental stimulation through exercise and play. This can help prevent boredom and destructive behavior.

It's also a good idea to consult with a professional dog trainer or behaviorist who can help you understand and manage the dog's behavior in a positive way. These professionals will be able to provide you with guidance and support as you work to rehabilitate your dog.

Remember to be consistent, patient and keep in mind that it will take time, but with time and dedication, you can rehabilitate and convert your dog into a well-behaved companion.

Sign in or sign up to submit an answer.