Questions about moving to Slovenia with dog
My boyfriend and I are planning on moving to Slovenia with our dog in a few years and I was hoping to have a few questions answered.
Quick background: We are from Toronto. We will be moving in 3-4 years. We are going to be saving a significant amount of money before we leave to help with the cost of moving and to put a down payment on a house. (Probably somewhere close to 70,000 CAD) I am Slovenian but my boyfriend isn’t. I have some working knowledge of the language but not enough to talk finance ... hence the English post. We are both going to be studying the language before we move over and have both decided to take classes when we get there. I have a lot of family over there so we have a support system in place in case we need it when we’re starting out. I have a rough idea of the cost of living. I understand that some stuff is more expensive while others are cheaper.
You know a lot about Slovenis but here are few tips about your dog.
1. Make sure your dog is properly vaccinated and has all of the necessary paperwork/certificates to enter Slovenia.
2. If your dog is not microchipped, get him/her microchipped before arriving in Slovenia.
3. Bring your dog's food and treats with you, so you don't have to worry about finding a store that carries his or her specific food brand.
4. Make sure your dog is comfortable with being in a car for long periods of time, as you'll likely be doing a lot of driving while moving to Slovenia.
5. Get him or her used to spending time around other people and dogs, as there will likely be plenty of both once you move!
How would you describe the housing market from a Slovene perspective? Ljubljana is expensive and this is why roads leading to it get jammed daily. Maybe you could work as a freelancer from home outside Lj. where it's cheaper and avoid traffic. 1-2 hour commute is not unheard of. I would avoid Ljubljana, new apartments usually begin at 200k and get unreasonably high. 40 year olds 100-150k. It's not that special of a city to deserve such price, even though Lj. residents may disagree. Anyway, if you are in love with this city, try to search an apartment on the https://prian.info/slovenia/slovenia/piran/
Sign in or sign up to submit an answer.