How can i stop him chewing ?

Hello,

My 14 week old staffy does nothing but chew he has chew toys n plenty of exercise but still prefers to chew my walls , scerting boards doors and even her plastic dog bed please help .

thanks

jackyjoy

• Lovely P.

It is important to provide your puppy with plenty of appropriate chew toys and to make sure that they are rotated regularly to keep them interesting. You should also make sure that your puppy is getting enough exercise and mental stimulation. If your puppy is still chewing on inappropriate items, you may need to provide more supervision and/or use a crate or playpen to keep them away from the items they are trying to chew. You can also try using a bitter apple spray or other taste deterrents on the items you don't want them to chew. Finally, you may want to consider enrolling your puppy in a puppy training class to help them learn appropriate behaviors.

• Carl C.

You can't stop him chewing. Or, to be more precise, you shouldn't do it. Your puppy might be teething, so interrupting his chewing is not the wisest decision. First of all, try to hide all chewable stuff, such as shoes or clothing. Then let your puppy know what is allowed to chew. As was already said, praise him when he picks the right toys and intimidate him from chewing everything else. Also, you need to bookmark sites with professional dog tips, such as yorkiemagazine.com. Having a 14-week old puppy, you will have a lot of challenges.

• Carl C.

You can't stop him chewing. Or, to be more precise, you shouldn't do it. Your puppy might be teething, so interrupting his chewing is not the wisest decision.

• Marceline G.

I also had the same problem before what we do is we reprimand that behavior as time goes by I guess he understood that there are things he shouldn't chew because he stop doing it. 
  • William R.

Usually, chewing might be a common issue among pet Staffy dogs. Yet, when you feel that the chewing is going destructive, you should try to prevent it. Before understanding the effective preventive measures, it is better to determine the root cause of this habit.

As your Staffy is 14 weeks old, there are chances that it might be teething. Generally, Staffy dog’s teeth start falling off after 8 to 16 weeks as the adult teeth start pushing them out of the way. Check if your pet dog is teething.

There are many other possibilities. Your pet puppy might be trying to explore, maybe bored, might be hungry, maybe stressed, and more. Chewing may be a cause of some underlying health issues too. Refer to this article to know more about this habit.

You can try easing the teething pain, rectify the underlying health issues consulting a vet, and train your Staffy to avoid his destructive chewing. However, you should never punish your pet in any way for chewing.

I would recommend you take your Staffy to a veterinarian. A qualified and experienced vet can diagnose the root cause and offer treatment for the chewing issue. You can log on to greatvet.com to find the best-rated veterinarians, vet clinics, and vet hospitals in your area.

• Kenneth B.

Hi, maybe he's going through a teething stage at this point. Try walking him and tire him in the morning so he won’t chew on the wall. Or try the anti chew spray for dogs, I’ve heard the bitter apple spray is good. Another way is give him plenty of chew toys, maybe you can make some homemade dog toys for him to play with. I’ve seen a good list of DIY toys here https://www.fivebarks.com/diy-dog-toys/ that you can maybe try.

• barry A.

f you catch your dog chewing on something they shouldn't, interrupt the behavior with a loud noise. Offer them an acceptable chew toy instead, and praise them lavishly when they take the toy in their mouth.

• Hanna L.

Teach what to chew

1. Take responsibility for your own belongings. ...
    2. Give your dog toys that are clearly distinguishable from household goods. ...
    3. Supervise your dog until they learn the house rules. ...
    4. Give your dog plenty of people-time. ...
    5. Give your dog plenty of physical and mental exercise. ...
    6. Build a toy obsession in your dog.

Sign in or sign up to submit an answer.