Feral cats urinating in gardens

Recently I've started to detect the unmistakable and strong odor of cat urine wafting in through my open window. Upon investigating, I've found certain spots in my garden that seem to be the favored spots of a local feral cat.

What are effective ways to deter feral cats from urinating in gardens without causing them harm?

• Olivia G.

There are several effective ways to deter feral cats from using your garden as a litter box, all focused on making the area unappealing to them without causing harm:

Unpleasant Scents:

Citrus Peels: Scatter orange, lemon, or grapefruit peels around the garden borders. The strong citrus smell is a deterrent to cats. However, these decompose quickly, so refresh them often.

Commercial Repellents: Opt for natural, cat-safe repellents available at garden centers. Look for sprays with scents like peppermint, lavender, or citronella. Follow the instructions for application and reapplication.

Visual Deterrents:

Motion-Activated Sprinklers: These can be surprisingly effective. The sudden burst of water startles cats, making them less likely to return.

Scarecrow Sprinklers: These combine the water spray with a scarecrow-like figure, adding a visual deterrent.

Plant-Based Solutions:

Cat-Repellent Plants: Strategically plant herbs or flowers that cats dislike around the garden perimeter. Consider lavender, rue, coleus canina (scaredy cat plant), or citronella grass.

Remove Attractants: Ensure there are no hidden food sources or inviting hiding spots in your garden that might attract cats. Keep garbage cans tightly sealed.

Provide Alternatives: If possible, offer the cats a designated bathroom area outside your garden. Create a shallow box filled with soil or another digging medium in a location accessible to them but away from your prized plants. You can gradually relocate the box further away over time to discourage them from your garden.

• Jason S.

If you have a space away from your garden, consider placing a cat litter box there. Feral cats might prefer this over your garden. You can also try to look into motion activated sprinklers.

• Kathy B.

I've recently noticed an unmistakable and powerful odor of cat urine floating in through my open window. 

Sign in or sign up to submit an answer.