Why my dog is not eating food?

I have an Alaskan Husky with me. From a few weeks, he is not taking his diet properly. If he does so then he immediately vomits out. I am bit worried. Can you please tell me what can be the matter so that I can immediately figure out and can give proper medications?

• Ryan O.

15/11/2018

Hi, any updates on your dog? I think it's so much better to bring your dog to a vet for proper medication. Hope to hear from you soon ☺

• Niki R.

18/03/2019

Hi Michellpellender,

I am so sorry to hear that your fur baby is not keeping well. I have a pug and have faced this situation in the past. The reason turned out to be the heat. We live in India and summers get quite hot here. Even though he is usually in my bedroom (which has an AC), the overall weather and the sudden change affected him drastically. He wouldn’t eat and when he did, he vomited. I tried giving him a few of his favourite treats too but it did not work. May be this is the case with your dog as well?

If you are sure that weather had no role to play, please answer this – has there been a change in his surroundings or diet? Sudden changes tend to make dogs very anxious and that affects their eating habits. Until they adjust, dogs do not feel like eating or being active at all for that matter. Separation anxiety is a factor to consider as well. Do you leave him alone often? If yes, fear is probably responsible for the loss of appetite.

If none of the above is true, maybe he has a health issue. Not eating and vomiting can indicate a variety of health conditions. Is he also not ready to play? Does he show an aversion to walking or any physical activity that he used to enjoy? Is he almost always sleeping? Do you see weight loss? Consider all this and you will get an answer. If you think something is wrong, please take him to the vet immediately.

Also, I cannot stress this enough – Please DO NOT give your dog any medication without consulting the vet. The reactions can be really, really bad. I shudder to think what might happen! The vet will give you a solution that’s safe and risk-free. So why not go with it? Dogs are different from us and we can’t just administer over-the-counter medication. We have to be very careful about what we give them.

Sometimes the answer is as simple as him not liking his food and some other times, it is very serious. If he is otherwise fine and just not eating his food, may be you could change his diet and see if it helps. Otherwise, go to the vet and let him take care of the rest.

• Kookie J.

15/07/2019

Hi! How is dog doing? Did you bring him/her to the vet already?

Sign in or sign up to submit an answer.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you consent to the use of cookies to enable functionality included in this website. See more

Ok