Jumping and becoming over excited!!

My 3 year old Pit bull, Samantha, who weighs 90 pounds (yes, she's a big girl) loves to greet anyone who comes to my house. She becomes so excited that its difficult for me to control her. Her tail alone can knock over a small child. It's gotten to the point where my friends text me when they arrive so I can put her outside. I have taken her to school, worked with her and nothing thus far has made her jumping on people exempt!! And if anyone rings the doorbell.....oh, forget it. It's on and popping in Samantha's little world. She does settle down once a guest has been in the house for a few minutes, but its just the initial greeting that is hard to handle. She's a real sweetie and wouldn't hurt a flea but I fear her excitement just might do so one day. HELP!!!

• YummyOrNot Y.

My puppy likes to jump and gets so excited too we tell her off and push her so try that it might not work the frist time but if you keep saying off your dog will get it
  • Pitbullmomz

Thank you everyone!!
  • Tazza M.

Once someone comes in the house make sure you own the space and that she is totally calmed down before opening the door, once you open the door make sure that your dog is still not in your territory (near the door). Make sure your dog is calm then let your guest in and let your dog have a sniff once their sitting down and wanting to pay your dog. If your dog is jumping at the door, wait until they have calmed down fully, all the way because even if they're still a bit excited they can go back to the start. If that isn't working say no! In a stern voice. Your guest will have to follow the rule of no touch, no talk and no eye contact until they are in the house and you can say that your dog can go and meet your friend. If this doesn't work I would recommend watching 'The Dog Whisperer' hope I helped!
  • Takara Lee Elliott

The hey has to be right when she's about to jump so pay close attention to her. Make sure to claim the door as well.
  • Takara Lee Elliott

Hello! I understand since this post is old you might have it solved but I have a pit as well and the jumping is becoming a habit but I've figured out what to do when people come to the door and she gets so excited. First off have her on a leash. Secondly when your guess arrive make sure they don't greet her in any way. No touch, no talk, and no eye contact. Have your guest turn around every time she jumps and you give a firm hey! Works for my Oreo who is just learning. After she's sniffed and calmed down, let her off leash and it should work. Good luck!

Sign in or sign up to submit an answer.