getting on with other dogs

I have a 4 year old staffie we have to put a muzzle on him because he hates other dogs we got him when he was 1 1/2 but a couple of years ago he was attacked by 3 staffies which has made him worse we had him neutered as we were told this would help calm him down what can we do to help him get on with other dogs .

• sukriti M.

You can bring 1-2 dogs home on a daily basis and make them play with yours one. Keep an eye on all of them don't leave them alone. Also you must consult with a doctor or professional. May be he/she can help you out with this in a better way.
  • Stephanie W.

Both of my rescue dogs, one is a staffie mix, doesn't really get along with other dogs. I started to assimilate them to other dogs by bringing them to work with me where they can play with the others. I keep a baby gate at my desk when it looks like they need a break or is getting too aggressive. It is not easy but it will get better over time
  • Caitlin F.

It would probably be best you seek a professional trainer and get an attitude assessment for this matter. It is not right to put your dog, and other dogs, in danger because you want to fix it yourself

I understand this because one of my coworkers has a English Mastiff and a Pit Bull. They are completely fine when he is at home, but as soon as he leaves them at the Kennel when he goes on his trips abroad the Pit Bull becomes a whirlwind. Last year he had gone abroad and the two had their first fight (the Pitbull only being 2 and testing boundaries when their owner was not around to stop anything before it started. Adolescent dogs are volatile). Their fight ended with a blood covered kennel, bloody pussy wounds and a pit bull constantly testing the leash. Again that year he left an another trip and they stayed at our shop so we could watch them more carefully. Each in their own run. The pit bull knocked down the chain link fence and had the Mastiff pinned. Needless to say, every trip afterward she was put in a cement run, far away from the Mastiff and any other dogs that got her going.

That is just the way their breeds are. In a fight or flight situation these dogs, pit bulls and staffies, were bred to fight. It is like a dog that had bit a porcupine and got a bunch of quills in its mouth. It will keep biting that porcupine, or any others, that crosses its path. It is a fear-aggression response. There is no quick solution to a trauma.

Sign in or sign up to submit an answer.